|that’s right. i baked a cake in my crockpot, (slow cooker).
i had been looking through some of my cookbooks and found this recipe.
i wanted to use what i had on hand already, so i adjusted it slightly….i have included that in the recipe.
the cake consistency was incredibly light and airy. i was really surprised that it worked. in fact, my hubby came home from work and asked what was in the crockpot….i told him i was baking a cake and he replied “no way”. (to which i answered “yes way”)…..
here’s the recipe:
Cherry Upside-Down Cake
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 cup applesauce ( i used a peach-flavored individual applesauce)
- 1 cup water
- 1 box dry yellow cake mix (i used a pineapple upside-down flavored box mix) (do not follow box directions)
- 1 (21 oz) can light cherry pie filling
- Preheat slow cooker on high.
- Spray the slow cooker with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl with a mixer on medium speed beat the egg whites, applesauce, water, and cake mix together for two minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Spread the pie filling in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the prepared cake batter on top of the pie filling.
- Place a paper towel on top of the slow cooker. Place lid of the slow cooker on the paper towel.
- Cook on high for 1 3/4 to 2 hours or until a knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. ( i lifted the lid after a little more than an hour and the paper towel was laying in the batter, because it had risen to the top….i removed the paper towel entirely for the last half an hour and it finished out great.)
- Remove the crock from the slow cooker. Remove the lid and the paper towel, and let it cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the outside edge of the cake to loosen it from the slow cooker.
- Place a large serving plate with an edge (so the pie filling won’t overflow off the plate) upside down on the top of the slow cooker. Holding the slow cooker and the plate firmly together, carefully flip the cake upside down. It will be steamy hot so be very careful. The pie filling will ooze down the sides of the cake.
- Serve hot or chilled.
Calories: 211; Fat 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrates: 41g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 323mg
taken from-Busy People’s Slow Cooker Cookbook by Dawn Hall
so, that’s all i have for today! cold weather makes me want to bake. we also tried another new recipe for supper, Gourmet Chicken Pizza, which we liked also….i found that recipe on www.allrecipes.com (both recipes are peanut-free, for those with peanut allergies)
i have lots of scrapping that i would like to accomplish. american idol to watch. treadmill to walk. devotions to have. neighborhood newsletter to compose and edit.
ohhhhh and today is the 14th, so tonight at midnight is the monthly release of new products at my favorite, papertreyink.com or check out the fun on her blog.
the good news, school is cancelled for tomorrow because of the snow and bitter temperatures….sleeping in tomorrow!!!