It’s Friday, and it’s still February, so that leads us to February Friday Fun Facts!
This week’s topic is Coffee Facts!
- Coffee is a no-calorie drink
- It takes about 45 coffee beans to make one shot of espresso
- 400 billion cups of coffee are consumed worldwide, making it the most popular beverage
- Sprinkle spent coffee grounds around the base of your garden plants and it will stop snails and slugs from munching them!
- The US Navy used to serve alcoholic beverages on board ships. However, when Admiral “Joe” Daniels became Chief of Naval Operations, he outlawed alcohol on board ships, except for very special occasions. Coffee then became the drink of choice, hence the term “Cup of Joe”.
- Bach wrote a coffee cantata in 1732
- For reducing wrinkles and improving their skin, the Japanese have been known to bathe in coffee grounds fermented with pineapple pulp.
- Coffee, as a world commodity, is second only to oil
- Iced coffee in a can has been popular in Japan since 1945
- Regular coffee drinkers have about one-third less asthma symptoms than those non-coffee drinkers. So says a Harvard researcher who studied 20,000 people.