i needed to bake something for my husband to take to a carry-in at work, so i tried these!
found the recipe on cookiemadness.net. since i love caramel macchiatos from starbucks, i figured the cookies would be tasty too!
Caramel Macchiato Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (i used real, unsalted butter)
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, (i used butter flavored crisco sticks)
- 1 tbsp. espresso powder (couldn’t find this at our local groceries, so i bought milk-chocolate covered coffee beans and ground them in my food processor. approx. 1/2 cup prior to chopping.)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (i used mini milk chocolate chips)
- 1/3 cup Kraft caramel bits (didn’t have these on hand, so i cut up approx. 8 individually wrapped caramels)
- Preheat oven to 350′. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper. (i used my pampered chef stones, so parchment paper is not necessary.)
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Using high speed of an electric mixer, beat both sugars, butter and shortening until creamy. beat in espresso powder (or chopped, chocolate-covered coffee beans).
- Reduce speed to low and mix in egg, egg yolk and vanilla–do not overbeat after adding egg.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until flour is incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips and caramel bits.
- Drop cookies by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. (i used the medium scoop from pampered chef. it keeps all of the cookies the same size.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden around the edges and set. (when using a stone, it may take a few extra minutes. i left them in for approx. 15 minutes. then i allow them to set on the stone for approx. 10 minutes before transferring them onto a cooling rack.)
Makes approx. 26 cookies.
(the ingredients i used were all peanut-free.)
Enjoy your long Memorial Day weekend!!!!!