|tried a new crock-pot recipe today.
Vegetable Beef Soup (Makes 8 servings) taken from “Fix-it and Forget-it Lightly cookbook”
(yes, i know it’s summer….maybe it isn’t the season for soup….but it’s good and low-calorie!!!)
great because you can stick it in the pot and forget about it all day, while you enjoy the sunshine!
Nutrition Facts per serving (1/8):
This recipe is peanut-free.
Give it a try!!!!
Category: severe peanut allergy
|well. let’s catch up.
it’s now summer break.
above is one of my favorite summer spots. our patio swing. i love it! i really enjoy swinging while enjoying a good book.
|i love spending time outside in the sun. yesterday, i decided to take the camera outside and snap a few pix.
(still having fun messing around on picnik.com….love how easy it is to edit photos on there!)
|also made some monkey munch. yum-o! as blogged here we LOVE monkey munch!
therefore, i don’t make it tooooo often because we easily eat wayyy too much of it!
it’s soooo yummy! & addictive. can’t just eat one handful.
(this version is also peanut-free)
|we store it in a XL 2.5 gallon ziploc. reaching in, you get covered in powdered sugar! (you would think that would deter us, but no!)|
|the extra large pieces that stick together are the first to go….oh yum!!!|
|below, nick and i picked up our lunch today…current low-cal favorite, subway & starbucks.
he, of course, dodged out of the picture as i snapped it.
that would be his laptop. in the car. no, this wasn’t a roadtrip.
simply a long line at the drive-thru, so he pulled out his laptop.
isn’t that normal for a teen in 2009?
|well, i am REALLY wanting to scrapbook. lots of ideas bouncing around in my head.
feeling very creative. just need to do it.
maybe i will post some layouts tomorrow!
hope you are enjoying your summer so far!
thanks for stopping by!
|welcome to the first edition of “summer snack review”.
i will be your guide this evening….and official taster & reviewer.
tonight we will be discussing Wendy’s new Coffee Toffee Twisted Frosty, (chocolate).
being a chocolate lover, i opted for this frosty with a chocolate base. it is also available in vanilla base
the picture above shows one represented at the bottom of the picture, the one without a straw.
here’s how it rated (scale of 1-5) (1 poor 5 being is was fabulous):
over-all rating for the Wendy’s Coffee Toffee Twisted Frosty, (chocolate): 2.8
special note: this snack contains items that are made in a facility that processes or uses peanut products…this item is NOT safe for those people with a peanut allergy.
have you tried one yet?
what did you think?
|saw this pic online…funny…i used to have this exact cookbook when i was young.
i’ve been busy baking cookies for our youth retreat this weekend.
last night was monster M&M/chocolate chip cookies and today was oatmeal raisin with sugar glaze icing.
i love to bake, but i don’t like having the temptation of yummy sweet calories sitting around…
tomorrow will be brownie bars & chocolate chip bars…
the next day with be blueberry muffins & cinnamon streusel muffins!
*of course i also enjoy the baking because this makes sure that all items are peanut-free for nick.
no worries. that’s a +plus+
now go bake something sweet for your family! : )
|that’s right. i baked a cake in my crockpot, (slow cooker).
i had been looking through some of my cookbooks and found this recipe.
i wanted to use what i had on hand already, so i adjusted it slightly….i have included that in the recipe.
the cake consistency was incredibly light and airy. i was really surprised that it worked. in fact, my hubby came home from work and asked what was in the crockpot….i told him i was baking a cake and he replied “no way”. (to which i answered “yes way”)…..
here’s the recipe:
Cherry Upside-Down Cake
Calories: 211; Fat 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Carbohydrates: 41g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 323mg
taken from-Busy People’s Slow Cooker Cookbook by Dawn Hall
so, that’s all i have for today! cold weather makes me want to bake. we also tried another new recipe for supper, Gourmet Chicken Pizza, which we liked also….i found that recipe on www.allrecipes.com (both recipes are peanut-free, for those with peanut allergies)
i have lots of scrapping that i would like to accomplish. american idol to watch. treadmill to walk. devotions to have. neighborhood newsletter to compose and edit.
the good news, school is cancelled for tomorrow because of the snow and bitter temperatures….sleeping in tomorrow!!!
|OH MY GOODNESS! have you had these brownies?
they are amazing! and FAT FREE (and peanut-free)
here’s the site: www.nopudge.com
i bought them at our local meijer.
you simply add yogurt or applesauce, (i did half of each), and mix them with the dry mix. that’s it! absolutely fabulous!!!
(hate to say, but i made a sundae! yum! brownie, icecream, and chocolate-covered coffee beans!! yum!!……now i have to go hit the treadmill……well worth the delicious treat!!!)
|yes, i know. it’s Memorial Day, not Christmas. but my loving hubby & son built my fire pit for me! it was a Christmas gift from my sister….and i finally got to use it!!!
we fired it up.
grabbed the marshmallows, Hersheys and graham crackers.
whatta yummy treat!
i needed to bake something for my husband to take to a carry-in at work, so i tried these!
found the recipe on cookiemadness.net. since i love caramel macchiatos from starbucks, i figured the cookies would be tasty too!
Caramel Macchiato Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened (i used real, unsalted butter)
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, (i used butter flavored crisco sticks)
- 1 tbsp. espresso powder (couldn’t find this at our local groceries, so i bought milk-chocolate covered coffee beans and ground them in my food processor. approx. 1/2 cup prior to chopping.)
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (i used mini milk chocolate chips)
- 1/3 cup Kraft caramel bits (didn’t have these on hand, so i cut up approx. 8 individually wrapped caramels)
- Preheat oven to 350′. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper. (i used my pampered chef stones, so parchment paper is not necessary.)
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Using high speed of an electric mixer, beat both sugars, butter and shortening until creamy. beat in espresso powder (or chopped, chocolate-covered coffee beans).
- Reduce speed to low and mix in egg, egg yolk and vanilla–do not overbeat after adding egg.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until flour is incorporated.
- Add chocolate chips and caramel bits.
- Drop cookies by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. (i used the medium scoop from pampered chef. it keeps all of the cookies the same size.)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden around the edges and set. (when using a stone, it may take a few extra minutes. i left them in for approx. 15 minutes. then i allow them to set on the stone for approx. 10 minutes before transferring them onto a cooling rack.)
Makes approx. 26 cookies.
(the ingredients i used were all peanut-free.)
Enjoy your long Memorial Day weekend!!!!!