- “Don’t let _________be wise in her (his) own eyes; rather, cause her (him) to fear you and shun evil. You have promised that this will bring health to her (his) body and nourishment to her (his) bones.” Amen Proverbs 3:7-8
- “I pray that ________ would choose his (her) friends carefully, for the way of the wicked leads them astray.” Amen Proverbs 12:26
- “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of _________’s mouth, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Amen Ephesians 4:29
2 nights ago, we sat down for our family devotions…usually they are directed more for kids, but that night, i found the devotional extremely applicable. (just fyi, the devotion book that we are currently using is from Focus on the Family, “Fuel: 10-minute devotions to Ignite the Faith of Parents & Teens” by Joe White) The following, is just a bit of the devotional that day. I hope maybe it will give you a little to think about also.
- John 10:7-10 “So Jesus said to them again, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly.'”
Webster’s Dictionary defined the word abundant as “more than enough.”
More than enough. Think about it. Jesus came to give abundant life, abundant peace, and abundant joy.
How much beauty is more than enough? How much pleasure is more than enough? How much fame and success are more than enough? How much money is more than enough?
When will we stop trying to get high on this world’s stuff?
Life with God is abundant. Don’t try living any other way.
well, first week of school–done!
I have been a bad blogger this week. so caught up in Nick going back to school and trying to adjust to early mornings / school routine, that i just haven’t had much to say. maybe ‘yawn’ would have summed up a lot of my thoughts. i am so NOT a morning person.
nonetheless, it was a good week of school for Nick. it would appear that he has some awesome teachers this year…a few which i am pretty sure are Christians, which is a huge +plus+. once again, it seems that God has taken care of Nick and placed him with some great teachers.
we went to our high school football game tonight. we have always had nephews in the marching band, so we go to the home games and watch them march…we don’t mind rooting for our school team either, but this year is not looking promising….eeks. i love football season. there is a crispness in the air….it’s coming!!!…..Fall is on it’s way! sweatshirts, leaves changing colors, cool days, holidays approaching–i love it all!!! i am not a sports ‘watcher’, but if i had to choose, football would be my preference. our family roots primarily for the Pittsburgh Steelers!! (go Ben!) hopefully we won’t be disappointed this year. my hubby and son also participate in Fantasy Football…..which adds a little intrigue to the whole football season.
- i am thankful today for answered prayers concerning the new school year and the teachers Nick has
- i am thankful that we worship an awesome God that has blessed us with such beauties as the changing seasons
last night we celebrated the end of summer with a party. it was a lot of fun….now the morning after cleanup is almost complete and i realize that in less than 48 hours Nick will have began his 7th grade year. it’s hard to believe…that he is getting so old. this summer he turned the big “1-3”. it seems like only yesterday he was a happy lil’ guy barely big enough to stand on his own. now he not only stands alone, but stands taller than i do….eeks…7th grade. where does time go? do we really appreciate our lives as they are at this very moment? or are we so busy rushing into tomorrow that we don’t stop to realize what we have today, and how quickly it could be gone.
- “Lo, children are a heritage of the Lord; and the fruit of the womb is his reward…” Psalm 127:3
- “Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” Matthew 19:14
- “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” Psalm 139:14
sweet saturday morning. yawn. i haven’t even made it out of the bedroom yet, but it has been a sweet day so far. let me explain.
S – my saturday began when i was sweetly woken up by my ever-sweet husband, (ok, maybe i am getting too mushy, but he is sweet), bringing me breakfast in bed…all of my favorites. poptarts, milk & he even made coffee. : )
W – i have been laying here watching TV-Land…(ok, i admit it–i love the old shows, Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith, and my all time favorite, I Love Lucy)
E – i even have my laptop here, which means i have been browsing the blogs all morning…(which is why it’s almost noon and i haven’t even showered yet.) i have to admit, i am not a morning person….not even a tiny bit. i am a pajama girl.
E – blog after blog i am realizing that everyone has a shop on Etsy. i recently found out about Etsy and keep planning on setting up a shop there, but have yet to do it. (which brings up my next plan…i am actually going to set some goals for things i would like to accomplish once school starts…i will blog about that later…) there are a lot of amazingly creative and talented girls (women–i don’t know why, but even though i am 37, i have a hard time calling myself a woman…it sounds so old…i prefer to be girly) out there!!! i am so inspired and encouraged by all of you!
T – to do. i really have lots to do today. it’s the last weekend of summer break…which is one huge reason why it’s sweet saturday. tomorrow evening we are having some family over for an End of Summer party….so, i should be going to the grocery, baking, cleaning, etc. etc. but here i sit. just soaking up the day.
i hope all of you are having a sweet saturday too.
it’s a downward slide from here.
as you can see by the picture of school supplies….the checklist of supplies has been completed….items are labeled with Nick’s name….backpack is full. (even the dog has decided to take a sniff at the pile)
it’s just a downward slide from here.
school starts wednesday,
it’s just a downward slide from here.
4 days of vacation left,
it’s just a downward slide from here.
where does summer go? it seems like just yesterday we were relaxing in the pool, adjusting to no schedule, sleeping in late…. oh those lazy days of summer–i will miss you!
soon we will be hearing the alarm go off before the sun comes up, schedules full of things to do, homework that needs finished, meals to be made, early to bed to prepare for the next day. when life gets hectic, i pray this prayer, (taken from Prayers of a Godly Woman), and God never ceases to bring me peace in the midst of the hustle & bustle of life.
- Dear Lord, give me patience. Let me live according to Your plan and according to Your timetable. When I am hurried, slow me down. When I become impatient with others, give me empathy. When I am frustrated by the demands of the day, give me peace. Today, let me be a patient Christian, dear Lord, as I trust in You and in Your master plan for my life. Amen
ahhhh…..so good. starbucks java chip frappuccino….in my own town. i finally made it over to the starbucks on campus. (just a campus in town–neither my husband nor i am a student), but for starbucks, i was ready to do what it took….of course, i wasn’t disappointed!
isn’t it amazing how a little thing like some ice cold caffeine can really put a smile on your face? (maybe i should speak for myself), it definitely puts a smile on my face! already i am trying to figure out when i will get my next fix….but at least it’s local. finally. our town takes a step towards keeping up with the times. one small step at a time.